Saturday, September 29, 2012

Top 10!

Thursday September 27, 2012
Its that time of the week again…blogging and jamming out to some good American tunes. Tonight: One Direction. Nothing better in the village! Especially when our kerosene lamp is being temper mental yet again, and Marisa is taking it apart and reassembling it as we hope it comes through for us tonight.


I’ll begin with my 10 favorite random stories from this week:
1. I went for a run on Wednesday after school, and while everyone looked at me like I was crazy, I was fortunate enough to have two people join me along the way. One woman who was wrapped in a kanga and wearing sandals joined first, then a boy from Muyenzi ran all the way home with me. No big deal.

2. This morning I woke up to find a very large spider on the ceiling above my door, most likely poisonous. I successfully killed it with a broom, although I think I died a little inside in the process.3. I also die a little bit every night at 7:08 precisely. Starting around 6:59, the bats that live in our ceiling come to life and nine minutes later plummet out of the side of our house in crazy waves of blackness. It’s quite the sight.

4. If I had 100 shillings for every time I heard “Mzungu” or “I love you” while riding down the rode on a piki-piki or walking through town, I could afford my own piki-piki.

5. The amount of dirt on my feet every night is absurd. What’s up multiple baby wipes. I don’t think they will ever be clean again…ever.

6. I’ve perfected the art of the bucket shower with only 6 cups of water, which happens twice a week.

7. We ventured to the orphanage in Rulenge on Sunday, and the little kids were so adorable! No surprise of course, but we plan on visiting every Sunday to play with the cute little kiddies J

8. Tuesday night, our kerosene lamp went out (a nightly occurance…). So Marisa went into her room for her headlamp, only to find a huge spider on her wall. Bravely, she tried to kill it with a flip flop, but this was one hearty spider and he definitely did not die, which caused both of us to scream. Within minutes, there was a knock at the door. One of the teachers that lives across the street heard us and just wanted to make sure we ok. Well, we invited him in to kill this spider for us, and he looked at it and laughed, saying “this little thing??” Right, I suppose size is relative. Thankfully, the spider did not live much longer.

9. I’ve come to love hot milk. We get fresh milk delivered to us every day, and we boil it and put chai and sugar in it. Nzuri sana! Also, we love the presence of avocados here, because guacamole is seriously so delicious. Tastes a little bit like America…

10. My Swahili skills are improving. But I tend to go through most of my life in a cloud of not understanding anything that’s happening. My Form 1 class falls to the floor laughing every time I say anything in Swahili. It’s hilarious.



No comments:

Post a Comment