Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Open Window


Have I mentioned that we bought 4600 kilograms of maize for my school?? Have I mentioned that I’m a math teacher…so I’ve finally done the math…and that is literally FIVE TONS of maize!

Wait…what…

Yes, that’s right 5 TONS. 10,000 pounds.

Each bag is 100kg of maize!


And who was I kidding last week, this will certainly last the entire year and then some. Potentially through next April...KUMBE!!!


Seriously I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who donated to this project. It was incredible watching load after load of maize be delivered and brought to my office this week. With each bag that was unloaded, all I could think was “This is another week all my students are guaranteed to eat.” Simply amazing.

I’m reminded of the story of five loaves and two fish…when Jesus fed 5,000 people and then still had 12 overflowing baskets of food remaining. Somehow, when I said I wanted to help feed the students for two months, it turned into 14 months. When I said my goal was $1500, we pulled together over $4000. When I wrote one blog post and a few facebook statuses, people generously jumped on board and believed in our project. When I say that Bukiriro Secondary is like a whole new school, I couldn't be happier about it...

And what have I learned? That God will provide if you simply trust in HIM. And while I've known this for years now, I have come to a whole new level of understanding of provision and faith. Ask and you shall receive. When I came to Tanzania, I knew I wanted to do more than simply teach esoteric mathematics concepts to students who will never need to know them...but I had no idea where this would take me. When I thought I had one opportunity to give back, it fell apart. But when God closes one door, He always opens a window. 

And when I look through that open window now, here is what I see...

4 months of uji down and 5 tons of maize later...





No comments:

Post a Comment