Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blessed


"Because you have seen me, you have believed;                                                                               blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed"                                                               John 20:29
While yesterday I was reminiscing over everything I won’t miss about life here and all the things I can’t wait for in the western world, today’s blog is going to take a different approach. We were invited to dinner last night at the District Education Officer’s home, and his wife prepared a lovely meal for Sue, her sister and myself. We had the traditional bananas and beans, rice with vegetables in peanut sauce, avocado, chapatti, tomato salad, and fresh hot milk tea (my personal favorite!). After the delicious meal, we had a wonderful conversation about education, the schools here, Lyn’s work with leprosy and AIDS in Malawi and so on.
At one point, Mr. Nestory asked Sue and I if we could extend as volunteers here. This is a question I’ve been asked quite often recently from various people, and one that I always have to answer with a heavy heart. I say that I must return home to see my family, to begin the school year as a teacher in America, and to earn money since I’m only a volunteer here. All true things, but it doesn’t change the fact that when I leave my students wont have a math teacher. I can’t help but notice that teachers come in and out of their lives so frequently. Of the five government teachers that were assigned to our school, four reported, one left within the first weekend, and another has been gone for the past two weeks. That leaves two…not a very good average. And while most of the teacher’s at my school do go to their classes, it’s not uncommon for teachers to miss several periods a week, simply because they don’t feel like teaching. Yes, it’s a remote placement and the living situation is very difficult, but what message is being sent to the students? If the teacher’s don’t seem to care, then why should we? And now, here I am, another teacher come and gone….
At the same time, I’m reminded of the impression I’ve made while being here. I love my students to pieces, every last one of them. And I’ve poured my heart into trying to teach them mathematics. And when that doesn’t seem to work out, well then, at least I can brighten their day with another crazy story from life in Muyenzi! I wish I could stay. I wish I didn’t have to leave. I wish it didn't feel like I am abandoning their mathematics education. But realistically, this is another chapter that will end and we’ll begin anew in August. And that’s ok.
After explaining to Mr. Nestory why I can’t stay any longer as much as I would like to, he simply looked at me and said,
“God will repay you, somehow, somewhere, for the work you have done here.”
I am humbled by his faith, his passion for education and his dedication for improving the quality of life in Tanzania. His recognition for our work here as teachers is inspiring, and I pray that this is only the beginning of the work that will be done for the students of Ngara district.
On this blessed Easter morning, I am reminded that God has no need to repay me for what I have done here, because the truth is that He already has…in sending His only Son to save us. Rather, I am the one who is repaying my debt to Him, right here, right now, and in every moment of every day, for the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. He is indeed our Lord and Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment