Monday, March 18, 2013

This is EXACTLY why i'm here


Few things bring more joy to my life than teaching mathematics. It might sound a little crazy, but I’ve come to embrace my passion. And in Form 2 this past week, I was reminded of exactly why I love teaching math…

On Monday after our uji break, I entered the Form 2 classroom, everyone stood to greet me enthusiastically, I asked them how the uji was, they said “very nice!”, and they all sat down, opened their books, and were ready to begin. (Seriously, I love my students)…The topic for the day was factorization of quadratic expressions. We spend the previous week learning how to expand quadratic expressions [for example: (x+4)(x-2) = x2 + 2x – 8]. So I began by explaining that “to factorize” is the opposite of “to expand,” but first we must practice “how to think factorize.” Yes, sometimes my phrases are incomplete English said in a very strange fake TZ accent that I’ve somehow acquired, but as long as I get my point across and the students understand, that’s all that matters…right? Anywho, when thinking factorization, you must think about two numbers that multiply to A and add to B. For example, what two numbers multiply to 12 and add to 7? 4 and 3 of course! We did several example of this, eventually using positive and negative numbers, and once I felt like the majority of the class was understanding, we moved onto factorizing.

Example 1: Factorize the expression
x2 + 10x + 16  Madam: “We want two numbers to multiply to 16 and add to 10”
Class: “2 and 8!”
Madam: “Ok, so now we want to make two brackets, like this…”
(          )(         )
Madam: “We begin with x in both, then we will put 2 in one, and 8 in the other, like this…”
(x     2)(x     8) Madam: “Then, are 2 and 8 positive or negative?”
                        Class: “Positive!”
                        Madam: “Good, so like this…”
(x + 2)(x + 8)   Madam: “This is the solution!”
Class: a bit stunned…very quiet…definitely unsure of what just happened…
Madam: Now, let’s check our solution. If factorization is the opposite of expanding, then let’s do a check to see what will happen when we expand our solution. (in case you were curious, this is a 4 step process here at Bukiriro, and the kids are rock stars at it!)
Check: Expand (x + 2)(x + 8)
1. first terms = x * x = x2
2. outside terms = x * 8 = 8x
3. inside terms = 2 * x = 2x
4. last terms = 2 * 8 = 16
x2 + 8x + 2x + 16
Therefore, x2 + 10x + 16….

This is the moment of truth as I wait to see if they actually understand. Within a few seconds, the entire class realizes that this expression is where we began, and their smiles light up, a few “aha!” moments happen, and then the whole class erupts with applause. Literally the best light bulb moment a teacher could ever have! An applause for algebra?! YES! And I assure you that I joined in the round of applause for the beauty of mathematics. So much simple joy for the mere fact that
x2 + 10x + 16 = (x + 2)(x + 8) = x2 + 10x + 16

No comments:

Post a Comment