Monday, August 20, 2012

Salama. Peace.


As our bus made its way from coastal Dar es Salaam to the southern highland town of Iringa today, I was hit with so many thoughts and emotions. Our 6 hour bus ride turned into an easy 10, but that left plenty of time for some good laughs, a few animal sightings, and a whole lot of reflection. Spending the last two days in Dar, I was overwhelmed by African city life. We had the chance to split into smaller groups yesterday to explore the city with students from the Institute of Social Work.  One other girl and I were paired with Charles, a student about our age who spoke English very well and who was eager to give us tips, like how to safely handle a crazy market situation and how to know which city bus to take.  Very useful information!! However, I am so not a city girl so the drive today was wonderful!

I always love experiencing the change of scenery when driving through a country. We went from crazy city on the coast, through a national game reserve, and up into the mountains. Breath-taking views and a glimpse of typical Tanzanian life in big cities, towns, and small rural villages along the way. This is my life now! I can’t help but imagine what life will be like in my small rural village… How will we manage without electricity and running water? What will daily life be like? What will my classrooms look like? Am I going to love teaching so much so that the challenges of daily life seem manageable? So many anxieties and questions about the next few months weighed on me as we drove today. But then I am reminded over and over that God is good, and He will provide in immeasurable ways. 

I just kept telling myself to “Live in the present, live for today.” And this evening, we hopped off the bus and found ourselves at a beautiful conference center where we will be spending the next two weeks. We had a lovely dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, with brownies and ice cream for dessert! It was a wonderful taste of home that was just what I needed to remind me that joy is found in the littlest things. In being able to connect with friends back home, in making new friends here, in a text message from Charles wishing us safe travels and a good night…joy. We will be all right this year, and when I’m doubtful, I’ll be sure to come back and read this post! 

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, 
according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church 
and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen” 
Ephesians 3:20-21

2 comments:

  1. I am already enjoying these posts! You should write a book when this whole experience is complete!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Our God is a God of "immeasurably more", of the "way past" what we already think is "way past". Praise on!

    ReplyDelete