Thursday, August 9, 2012

Slow-mo? or Fast forward?

My heart is torn. I simultaneously wish I could push the "slow-motion" button and the "fast forward" button in my life. It seems as though my life in America is flying by! I wish I could slow down the clock, spend a little more time with everyone, not have to say good-bye just yet. I like my life here-- it's comfortable, predictable, full of family, friends, and good times! But, at the same time, I wish I could just fast-forward and be in Africa already! Why am I so looking forward to a life that might prove to be uncomfortable and highly unpredictable? Good question. It's all part of the adventure of LIFE! So I might only get a few more warm showers and clean glasses of water. So I might only be able to wear shorts for a few more days. So I might not get to see all those people who mean so much to me and who have shaped the person I have become for a long while. But, I will get to simplify my life. I will get to learn what it's like to live without modern amenities. I will get to experience a new culture. I will get to teach students who are eager to learn, to instill the unbelievable value of education into young minds.

How blessed am I that I have the opportunity to turn my biggest dreams into reality?! I am so excited to share this journey with you, and hopefully you'll get a glimpse into life on the other side of this planet, broaden your worldly perspective, and see the impact that this experience will have on my life, the lives of fellow volunteers, and the lives of those in my community and my classroom.

Did I mention I would be simplifying my life?...well I tried anyways. Here's what my living room looked like in the midst of my insane packing trials. Talk about one giant stressful game of tetris.

 However. I have succeeded in fitting my entire African life in two backpacks. That's simple, right? Ask me how I plan on wandering around airports or the Tanzanian countryside with these two bags though and you'll be in for a good laugh... (also, say hi to my dad! Good thing I have a patient family, since they witnessed my belongings explode everywhere before I was able to tame the storm inside these bags. ha)

And with that, I'll be saying my final good-byes to Rothschild today! What a wonderful place to call home. I'll be spending my last weekend in Kenosha before heading to the airport early Monday morning! I suppose that since I am powerless in changing the quantity of time I have before I depart, I'll just have to ensure that my last few days are full of quality time!

No comments:

Post a Comment