Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: Looking Back


I’m all about the highlights. Which is precisely why my 2012 tribute is going to cover the 12 most exciting adventures from the year, one month at a time! Are you ready to relive this crazy, awesome, fun-filled year of my life with me?? Perfect…


January
I finished student teaching! And received my college diploma! I suppose this should have a highlight of the year…I officially became a member of the real world. I had such a good time (most days) teaching at Case High School in Racine, and I can certainly say that I’ve chosen the right profession. I absolutely LOVE teaching math, and finishing up my education in time to stand in front of my own classrooms of students has been a dream come true!

February
It’s safe to say that my highlight for February was meeting a really wonderful guy and going on my first date with him! And I’m sure you’re all wondering, I believe Daneric and I went to Ron’s Place for our first date to share a lovely dinner together. And the rest is history, as they would say… Having him in my life for the past year has been truly amazing, and we have shared some great times together! Now that 2013 is here, I actually can’t wait to see him again. I look forward to one of those straight-out-of-the-movie-scenes in the airport when I come home…hint hint :)

March
While my 7th graders presented a different challenge everyday, taking my first job as a long term substitute at Gilmore MS was certainly memorable. I specifically remember loving every morning because my classes were so wonderful and my students respectful, engaged, and cooperative…and then hating every afternoon with my unruly 7th period class that I maybe had one successful day with during my entire time with them. It was a learning experience for sure, and we all made it out alive, so I suppose what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger!

April
I think it was about April that I officially moved from TENT to JAM. Maybe I shouldn’t admit that I was really actually living there, but it’s true. And no offense boys, because I really loved living with you, but it was quite nice to be in the presence of females again.
May
ROADTRIP to Oklahoma! Certainly a highlight! Driving to Pawhuska to see the lovely Ashley Allison and the Kane family was wonderful! Then stopping in Des Moines to move my brother out of college was another great adventure!

June
I ran a 5k! WHAT! Considering I haven’t run in the past 5 months, it seems like quite the feat to have actually run 5 whole kilometres! Thanks St. Mark’s for hosting it, and thanks to Daneric for running along side me the whole way!

July
Thank you to my crazy roommates and friends for throwing me the best surprise/going away/we’ll miss you but have fun in AFRICA party ever! Jenny kidnapped me in her car, took me to the train station to pick up Emmy, they blindfolded me, and drove me to the party where everyone surprised me! It was so great and I can’t wait for another party when I get home! Hint hint again…:)

August
Hmm…let’s see. I moved to Tanzania. Enough said.

September
School Started! I simply LOVE my students! I love school. I love love love everything about teaching. September was a good month for me.

October
While life in Muyenzi and at Bukiriro Secondary School continued to be wonderful, our trip to Kigali, Rwanda was a highlight of October. Not only did I add another country to my growing list of places I’ve visited, it proved to be a very refreshing, relaxing weekend with good food, electricity and hot water! Revolutionary.

November
Thanksgiving in Mwanza with Marisa and Lindsay proved to be a lovely time. In reality, the mashed potatoes I ate for dinner on Thanksgiving really topped my highlights for the entire month. But when you live in the bush and cook on a charcoal jiko, eating mashed potatoes is a real delicacy.

December
With the end of exams, the Muyenzi Road Show began, as we began our 34 day adventure through 4 countries. So far, my favorite place has been Zanzibar, but riding a camel, climbing Kilimanjaro, visiting Mombasa, going on safari, and spending New Year’s with friends have all been wonderful highlights!


With all the grand and exciting highlights of 2012, I cannot wait for all the adventures that 2013 is sure to bring! I hope that all of you can look back on 2012 and appreciate all of the great memories you have and all of the wonderful people you met.

..............................................................................................
Follow your heart, lean on Jesus, and never give up on your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment