Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Back to the Bush!


We’re back. I can’t say much more. It’s almost like we never left. Except we did, because this is what we came home to:

Two wide-open windows.
Small puddles of water in my room.
Dirt and bat poop everywhere (kitchen table included)
Several dead bugs and spiders.
Several alive bugs and spiders.
No water in our buckets.
Very minimal charcoal.
And
Last
But
Not
Least
A
Dead
Bat
Rotting
On
The
Floor
In
Our
Water
Storage
Room
.

It was too much for me. Actually just the memory of it is too much, which is why I couldn’t even write about it normally. EW.

Dad- you should be proud of me, because even without a pink hood and tennis racket, I was still able to dispose of it all by myself! J

After some deep cleaning, ie lots of sweeping, things are back to normal here in good old Muyenzi!

However, I must also mention our lack of charcoal in more depth. My guess is that it sounds fairly primitive to be cooking on a small charcoal stove. I can assure you that it feels that way. When we came home, we only had enough charcoal to last the weekend, and when we run out that’s certainly not a good thing since all of our food needs to be cooked and all of our water needs to be boiled. When we went to the market on Saturday, we made a point to ask everyone, only to fine out that there was actually no charcoal available in all of Rulenge and Muyenzi…oh boyyyy. This was the point when we finally realized that no one here actually cooks with charcoal. They all use firewood! What? The cavemen used firewood….seriously my mind is blown. For one, I can’t believe that I’ve lived here for 4 months without realizing this, and two, that everyone still cooks on firewood. So, needless to say, no charcoal on Monday was a struggle. Come Tuesday, Marisa and I asked around at both of our schools, and thankfully we were able to secure a half of a sack from some old man at Bukiriro. I never thought I would be HAPPY to receive a sack full of charcoal! I don’t know why we tell children that Santa only gives charcoal to the bad kids…

No comments:

Post a Comment