Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lazy Sunday


Lazy Sunday takes on a whole new meaning here in the bush. We got back to Muyenzi after all of our adventures on a Friday, and spent the day on Saturday going to the market, doing some cleaning and resting. Come Sunday, I woke up around 8:30 and began to contemplate what I would do with another whole day at home. Sundays everywhere are generally a day of no commitments, hence the phrase “lazy Sunday.” But here in Muyenzi, this takes on a whole new meaning.

Things I wanted to do after brainstorming:
Take a shower.
Wash my socks and underwear.
Wash my new kangas.
Bake a cake or a loaf of bread.
Go for a walk or run.
Watch a movie.
Be Social.

Things I was not able to do:
Take a shower,
Wash my socks and underwear,
Wash my new kangas
Why? because we only had one bucket of water.

Bake a cake or a loaf of bread.
Why? Because we only had enough charcoal to cook one meal.

Go for a walk or run.
Why? Because my foot was still painfully reminding me that I broke it on the Nile River.

Watch a movie.
Why? Because we no longer have access to an electrical outlet to charge my computer after I watch a movie.

Socialize with anyone.
Why? Because practically no one lives here! And none of the teachers nor Mama K were back yet.

Things I was actually able to do:
Read. A lot.
Play volleyball (with myself).
Read some more.
Wash my hair. (At least we had 6 cups to spare for that endeavor!)
Talk to my parents on the phone! HIGHLIGHT of the day for sure!
Make a list of things we can do here that will keep us from going crazy this semester.
Make enough rice on the last of our charcoal, so that if we didn’t get any on Monday, we would have leftovers. (Which happened, so dinner on Monday was cold rice. Mmm. Welcome back to the bush.)

So there you have it. Lazy Sundays here are certainly something else. I think I’m going to be thoroughly overwhelmed when I come home to America with all of my options of things to do on any given Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment