Saturday, January 26, 2013

It's a Love-Hate Relationship


Things are going to get real this week. When I say I have a “Love-Hate” relationship with my life here in Tanzania, I really mean that in the most literal sense. Utmost honesty is my approach today:

I hate that my computer is going to die in 25 minutes
I hate that I don’t have access to an electrical outlet in a 3-hour radius of my house
hate that communication is limited by my lack of Swahili knowledge
I hate that I wash my hair in a bucket once in seven days
I hate that I eat 4 pounds of tomatoes every week
I hate that I cook every meal on charcoal
I hate that 500 bats live in my house
I hate that I poop in a hole
I hate the layer of dirt that covers my body all day, every day
I hate that when I try to sleep at night, every flying bug harasses me always
I hate that my phone has a mind of its own and only gets service when it feels like it
I hate that when I take a taxi, I have to sit in the back seat with 4 other grown men 
I hate that I haven’t been able to go to a church service in a language I understand in the past 6 months
hate wearing skirts to my ankles every day
I hate. I hate. I hate.

There’s a lot of hate in my life these days, clearly.
But the good news is that I think there’s even more love.

I love my ride to and from school everyday; 
I’ve never seen land so beautiful and untouched

I love my students;
every last one of them

I love teaching mathematics;
yes, even how to do logarithms by hand

I love when my students get the answers right;
even though it’s seldom

I love even when they get the answers wrong;
it means that they tried

I love the ridiculously loud, enthusiastic “Good MORNING Madam” from my Form 2 class; 
it brings a smile to my face every time

I love teaching my Form 1 class the very basics of English, and then waiting for their young minds to churn long enough, until finally, one student raises their hand; at least someone understands

I love all 75 of my Form 4’s; even though they might not be able to derive the general equation of line, they sit politely and listen to every word I say

I love how my students’ faces light up when I talk about my life in America; 
pure, simple, eager enjoyment

I love drinking hot milk tea; highlight of every school day 
(I want a cow when I get back to WI, so I can have fresh milk to boil everyday)

I love brushing my teeth under the stars;
perfect time to gaze up and wonder about what can be

I love having time to relax after school;
with no agenda, I can do what I please

I love walking to the market on Saturday mornings; 
I can marvel at the beauty of God’s creation for an hour and a half

I love getting mail; 
the few times that I’ve actually received anything have been better than Christmas morning

I love my newfound appreciation for the little things in life; 
like the joys of eating a fresh passion fruit or finishing another book of the Old Testament

I love the simplicity of life here;
nothing more, nothing less.

<3 <3 <3

1 comment:

  1. your writing makes me cry on so many levels and all my sorrows seems so selfish.....smile Liz, you are sharing hope,faith and most clearly...your love, and His!

    ReplyDelete