Thursday, January 24, 2013

First Day of School!


Oh how I’ve missed my students! They are the lights of my life. Literally.

When I got to school on Monday morning (January 14), I was overcome with a sense of peace, excitement, and anticipation...just like every school year since I was in preschool. Come to find out, school had actually started the week before, but classes were starting this week. This was mostly good news, because I could just jump right in the classroom rather than twiddle my thumbs for a week. However, It was 7:52 when I arrived, and I was scheduled to teach at 8:00am and couldn’t have been less prepared if I tried.  Not only did I have a class, but it was Form 1 mathematics…and these new precious form 1 students speak NO English. Welcome back! Luckily, I know all of my numbers, and they do not, so in my 8 minutes of preparation for class, we were all ready to go. So what did we cover?

1 one
2 two
3 three
20 twenty
30 thirty
40 forty
100 one hundred
1000 one thousand
1000000 one million
Most of the class period was spent practicing speaking numbers, like this:
“How do you say?” [point to 352, 1,023, 57, etc]
blank stares
“How do you say?” “Unasema?”
light bulbs go on
one student is finally able to answer.
The whole class repeats after me.

Over and over and over again. Repetition is the key, because they eventually caught on and the lesson went pretty well. But we all have our work cut out for us, that is for certain. 

I spent the rest of the day preparing for the rest of my week’s worth of classes, and while I missed my Form 2 and Form 3 periods, I figured on the first day of school it was best to prepare in order to start strong, rather than wing it and crash and burn.

Here’s my weekly class schedule, nicely color coated for your convenience (and I was bored lol).  This year, I’ll be teaching mathematics to all four forms (1M, 2M, 3M, 4M) as well as Form 1 English (1E).



8:00
8:40
9:20
10:00
10:40
11:00
11:40
12:20
1:00
1:40-2:40
Mon
1M
1M


Chai
2M
2M
3M
3M
Clubs
Tues


4M
4M
Chai
2M
2M
1E
1E
Debate
Wed
1M
1M
3M
3M
Chai
4M
4M
1E
1E
Sports
Thurs
1E
1E
4M
4M
Chai
1M
1M


Self Reliance
Fri
3M
3M


2M
2M
Religion
Clean
Clean
Clean


It’s a heavy workload, mostly because I have 5 classes all learning different material in a very demanding curriculum, speaking various levels of English, having a wide range of mathematical ability, with class sizes anywhere between 40 and 80, and very limited time to prepare for lessons or mark exercises…more thoughts to come on all of this later.

At the very least, I’m thankful that I’ll be keeping busy! I hope you're ready to hear all of the excitements, challenges, successes and failures of another school year at Bukiriro! Wish us all luck...and perhaps a few prayers sent this way would be graciously accepted as well!

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment