Thursday, January 3, 2013

What's up Nile River!


White water raft on the Nile River? Why not. This is certainly one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences, so Marisa and I figured we better just go for it. While I was literally scared out of my mind, afraid I would pee my pants, and anxious about going overboard, the moment I got in the boat there was no turning back. Within minutes, I was voted to sit at the front to be a strong paddler, and shortly after that our guide pushed all of us overboard so we could practice getting back on the raft after we inevitably flip out. Awesome. And while we signed up for grade 3 rapids, we quickly realized we were in it to win it, because our guide was ready go hard on all the rapids. As we hit the first rapids, which were grade 5, and we flew down a sizable waterfall, I was simultaneously loving my life and hating my life. It was so insane!

We did four rapids before lunch and four after lunch. While I somehow managed to get down, hold on, and stay in the raft for all the rapids, I was still completely obliterated by crazy volumes of water because I was sitting in the front. Unfortunately, come the sixths round of rapids, we hit a huge wall of water, I flew into the air, my foot got stuck in the raft, and I landed on it sideways…pop. Instantaneously I got a purple goose egg on the side of my foot and had to be moved to the safety boat for the final 2 rapids. Pretty sure it’s broken. Wonderful. Kind of like that time I fell down the stairs on my way to school..but at least this is a way cooler story to tell! Needless to say, we’re spending a few extra days in Jinja before heading to Kampala, where we will most likely have to forego the chimpanzee trekking unfortunately. But honestly, Jinja is one of the best places we’ve been to so far, so I can’t say that I really mind spending a few extra days here. We’re at Nalubale Tea House, staying with other wazungu friends that we’ve made, and it’s a very relaxing place to be. Plus, everyone here has taken great care of my poor foot.

Here's a little glimpse of the action on the river! 

I'm in the front left :)

 complete obliteration...
looking at these pictures, I wonder how in the world I was able to actually stay on the raft the whole time....

Here's our whole group with our guide!

 where is anyone??? again...how did i manage to stay on?

 hanging on for dear life....

 notice that only marisa and I survived this one, haha!

Literally the most awesome/craziest thing I've ever done.

And would I do it again? Well, I might deny it the whole time and have multiple freak out moments, but in reality, I would certainly do it all over again!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment