Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Break 2013: Part 1

While my spring break plans to travel to Mbeya fell through, I’ve had a lovely few days in Ngara instead! On Monday, I had a particularly nice time, when I was ultimately reminded that this is why I’m in love with Africa. With no agenda, I was able to sit at a local café and write some lesson plans while drinking fresh milk tea. Kind of like Starbucks…but TZ style. Then I decided I was hungry, so I chose a little restaurant for some rice and beans, and while sitting there I met some really nice people. There was an old man who sat down next to me, and we were able to share a whole conversation in Swahili! I always feel like I don’t know any Swahili, but then I’m reassured that I do know quite a bit when I am able to carry on a friendly conversation with a complete stranger. There was also a little boy who was enjoying running around, tumbling around, being the class act of the hour. He was seriously the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! When I was getting ready to leave, the old man offered me half of the bunch of bananas he had just bought, which was such a wonderful zawadi! I said my thank you’s and goodbye’s, paid my $1 for my food, and walked off to find a piki driver to take me back to Alex and Sue’s house. I didn’t realize it, but the little boy had been following me, and when I got on the motorcycle, he fell down and started crying. Poor kid! I just broke his heart leaving, we had been sharing some good laughs together, and so I was just as sad as he was to be leaving. Shortly after arriving home, Sue and her sister came back and one of Sue’s friends came to visit as well. He’s the same age as I am, but it’s incredible to me how different our stories are. He comes by quite often because he is trying to improve his English, and Sue has adopted him like one of her own sons. It’s a precious relationship that’s formed between them, so it was really nice to spend the afternoon with all of them. While they shared their English lesson, Sue’s sister and I prepared dinner. We made bean burgers, sweet potato fries and regular chips, as well as mixed greens in peanut sauce, all of which was delicious! Overall, such a relaxing, comfortable, and exciting day! I loved it!
On Tuesday, we woke up early to head to a local NGO, WomenCraft, to join them on a few village visits. WomenCraft gives local women the opportunity to earn money by weaving baskets for sale around the world. The first week fo every month, they travel to each village to collect the baskets, place new orders, pay the women, and give more supplies. We were able to stop at three villages, and it was so great to see these women working and making such beautiful baskets! They are also beginning to help the women grow coffee as another source of income, as well as provide counseling for the women and their husbands to help the men understand the importance of their wives earning their own income. One woman is going to get a new tin roof for her home from WomenCraft for the baskets she’s weaving. It’s always so amazing to see the impact of projects like WomenCraft. They are doing so much good for the community, as the woman have a source of income to provide for their families. They can purchase clothes, shoes, exercise books, pay school fees, and ensure that everyone is being fed. Easing the pressure financially one woman at a time will slowly help improve the overall quality of life here in Ngara. Not to mention, the baskets are absolutely beautiful! You should all buy one. No joke! They are unique compared to other woven baskets, because rather than dying the palms to color the baskets with patterns, they weave fabric into the baskets to create the design. It’s quite innovative and certainly exclusive to this area, resulting in a gorgeous collection of handmade baskets! 

This women has been weaving large hampers like this one
in order to save money to purchase a tin roof for her house!

Some of the women in the village who are employed by WomenCraft.

Women weaving baskets in another village that we visited. 
Don’t worry, I will certainly be making some purchases before I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment