Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring Break 2013: Part 2


On Wednesday, I made the journey to Kigali, Rwanda for a few days of rest, relaxation, WiFi and a plug! So necessary considering I needed to write all of my lesson plans and modules for WorldTeach, as well as begin the job application process. While applying for jobs in the states can be a stressful and time consuming process, now imagine you live in the bush where you can forget about charging your computer or opening any internet page beyond a simple email. Hence, travelling to Kigali for a few days, splurging on a $30 hotel room with Wi-Fi and hot water, and diligently working for hours on end. Good news: all my lesson plans are finished, I only have one more module to complete, and I’ve applied to six school districts with high school math positions open! Keeping my fingers crossed!!
After spending most of my time working on Thursday and Friday, I spent Saturday relaxing, wandering the city, buying a few fun things, and meeting up with Marisa and another volunteer for lunch…classic BBQ pulled pork sandwich! WHAT? We also got drinks at a really nice hotel before enjoying an actual, real-life, Chipotle-style BURRITO! Seriously so great! It was a very nice way to end spring break 2013!
And while I don’t want to get into the details of it all…we actually ended up being stuck in Ngara for the night after waking up early to ensure we would make it back to Muyenzi on Sunday. Public transportation here is one thing that I can’t say I will miss. We caught a 10am bus heading to the border, which was lucky because all of Rwanda basically shuts down this week in remembrance of the genocide. It took about five hours to get to the border because it was pouring rain the entire time, but we were lucky it stopped by the time we had to walk across the border. We waited for a few minutes at the border for our motorcycle drivers to come, enjoying some chips mayai (local dish of scrambled eggs and potato wedges). And then we found our drivers and took off for Ngara. It’s about an hour long ride, considering you have to cross a river on a ferry and go up and down huge mountains on dirt roads being washed away slowly from the rain. The piki I was on ended up in the ditch twice, so it was certainly an eventful ride…But we made it in one piece to the taxi stand by 4:30 to head home to Rulenge. Considering we have literally no food at home and the taxi wasn’t full yet, Marisa and I took turns searching out food while we waited…and waited…and waited some more. Come 6:15, the driver decides that he won’t in fact be going to Rulenge anymore, so we’ll have to come back in the morning. AHHH! So much for school on Monday! Marisa and I checked into the motel across the street…$5 a person per night. And we tried not to complain too much about the reality of being stuck in TZ when we could have simply stayed in Kigali.
We’ll make it home eventually, and the reality of it is that you wouldn’t be reading this blog post had we actually made it home yesterday. So good things have come of it, even if not ideal. It does no good to complain, and the fact that I will be leaving here in 6 weeks helps me keep looking on the bright side. 
Happy 44 days until America!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment