Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Little Things


One of the benefits of travelling to school everyday is that I get to witness village life. I see the same man herding his cattle in the same spot every morning. He wears the same scruffy green coat, one of those crazy black and white winter hats with the earflaps and a tassel, and two different colored sandals every day. We pass each other every morning, yet I will never know his name or really anything about him. But I did notice this past week that he had shiny new red rain boots on! How wonderful is that?!
Likewise, nearly every day after school I pass one home where the children come running to the path with huge smiles on their faces, waving their arms wildly, shouting “MADAM!!!” It doesn’t matter what kind of a day I’ve had, but I see them running to greet me, and I can’t help but smile and wave back. I love it! They are so precious. I may never know their names, may never speak to them, will not see them grow up… However, we hold a special place in each other’s hearts, I can guarantee that!
And now for the simple joy that got me thinking today. I was outside on the phone with my parents when two small boys came to the fence in front of me. They were maybe 6 or 7 years old and herding goats on their own, which is a very common occurrence here. Every time I see a young child herding goats or cows, I always think they should be in school, why are they not learning?? And I thought the same thing today…then they shouted “Good morning Madam!” and since it was afternoon, I responded, “Good afternoon! How are you?” They were able to successfully respond, “We are fine!” which is actually impressive, since more often than not “how are you?” does not receive a reply from the kids around here. So anyways, here are the children, herding their goats, talking to the white woman, when all of a sudden music came on in the neighbor’s house. Naturally, one must dance to music right? Of course. So the boys started to dance, laughing at each other, making some crazy moves as the goats wandered around them. I couldn’t help but join in the laughter; it was the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen! And as any little boy would be shy if the stranger was laughing at them, they hesitated when they saw me laughing. But the beats were too good to stop and they continued right on dancing!
 It’s the little things in life that bring the biggest joy. Whether a new pair of red goulashes, a friendly smile and a wave from a stranger, or some upbeat music to dance to when you’re spending all day out in the sun with your goats, you simply must make the most of it. Life is too short to choose anything but JOY
Without a doubt, my students know what this is all about!
Welcome to Form 1! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment