Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Tanzanian Dinner


Have you ever found yourself in a situation, and wondered how on earth, under any circumstances, did you manage to land yourself there? Right…ok. I was invited to a Tanzanian family's house for dinner last Saturday evening, so just picture this for a minute: I am in a small town in the mountains of northwest Tanzania, sitting in a dimly lit room, under a tin roof, next to a handmade wooden cabinet in the shape of an octagon. I am in the company of a 24 year old fellow volunteer from Washington, a recent graduate majoring in African studies; as well as a British woman the age of my parents, who has earned her PHD in Chemistry and has been a teacher for many years; accompanied by an 18 year old Tanzanian boy who finished his Form 4 studies last year and is hoping to go to Dar this summer to continue studying in the hope that he will one day be a doctor; and in the corner, a very quiet old man, the boy’s father, head of the household, and tailor by trade. It begins raining loudly on the tin roof, the electricity goes out, so the old man lights a kerosene lamp, and we are left to enjoy the quiet of each other’s company. This is when I begin to wonder how I ever managed to find myself in this place, with these people, at this particular moment in time.  So random, yet at the same time, so comfortable. At this point, the boy serenades us by singing simple melodies, as the father smiles on, and all is right in the world. That is, until Alex decides that we should also sing for them, and settles on the Sound of Music and musical disaster ensues…but really, what more do you need in life? Find joy in the little things, appreciate every moment, and take comfort in the company around you, whether strangers, old friends, or new acquaintances. I love the simplicity of life here, because I have learned that I can be completely happy without a light bulb, running water, regular phone service, or daily access to my email or facebook. None of which I thought would be possible to live without. All you really need is the presence of those around you, and the complete surrender to God that He will always provide all that you need.  When you take away the distractions of the modern world, you are left with God, His children, and the beauty of His creation. And for these amazing blessings, I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment