Monday, February 4, 2013

Melt my Heart


On the first day of lessons in my form 2, 3 and 4 classes, I spent some time getting to know my students. I passed out a small piece of paper (which is highly coveted by all students here) and I told them they would have to answer 5 questions.  While I’m pretty sure they all expected to be taking a math exam on day 1, as I wrote the first question on the board, each class slowly started to breathe again and laughed when they saw: “1. What is your name?” Once we established that they were not to write “My name is Madam Elizabeth,” as I wrote on the board, we moved on to the next question: “2. How old are you?” Of course, everyone was then curious as to my age, but I assured them that I was old enough to be teaching them, and that one day I would tell them…(considering many of my form four students are 20 to 23 years old, I figure it’s best that we keep my age quiet for now). The next question got some giggles as well, “Are you male or female?” but in trying to learn their names, it’s quite helpful to know if they are a boy or girl. Number four: “What is your favorite subject in school?” had many responses of mathematics, and while I don’t like to toot my own horn, I think that mostly has to do with the teacher and not the material she is teaching. Finally, I asked them “What is your favorite sport to play?” at which point each class shouted out “FOOTBALL” very passionately. I assured them that Madam can not play football, but much prefers to play volleyball.

The last thing I had them do was turn over their piece of paper and write one question that they wanted to ask me. I said it could be about anything…America, my family, Mathematics, life in Muyenzi, my favorite food, etc…

And I certainly got some classic questions! Here are a few of my favorites:

From Form 2
Suwavis: What is matter?
Kwizera: Your parent they is safe?
Janine: You have husband and children?
Meckitrida: Where have you been this holiday?
Isack: In a certain experiment to determine apparent weight the following data were optained: weight of an object in air = 50N, weight of empty beaker = 10N, weight of body and displaced water = 25N. Determine the upthrust on the body.

…so I suppose I should brush up on my chemistry? Or maybe that’s physics. I’m not sure…

From Form 3
Egbeth: What is name of your school? And what you do in America?
Erick: do you know where clothers industry is in America? And is made by what?
Felician: Do you know any information about the results of national examination form 2? (it’s a month into the new year, and we still don’t know who passed form 2!)
Aderina: What about you?
Alfred: What is the main economic activities take place in America?
Selina: You are happy for life in Tanzania? Why?
Kwizera: Which reasons lead to the people of USA to selected Mr. Balaka Obama times two to be their president? What did he do to them? He had been president of America since when? (year)

From Form 4:
Thobias: In Tanzania the number of girls who are pregnanced are increased especially students. What about America?
Sospeter: Why European people that have a long hair?
Nyawenda: Why the girls of America teach the subject of Mathematics while in Tanzania there are few who passed that subject, What are the procedures to be followed and causes to be caused  some of girls to fail that subject especially in Tanzania.
Marco: Because you are Madam from out side of our country, what you are planning to do in our Secondary School at Bukiriro? (stay tuned…)
Kagabo: My Object is to complete all topcis of form four and review of exercise. You are already for that? (Yes Sir Kagabo, I am!)
Rehema: I want to ask you Madam, How old are you? Do you have a marriage? Can you stay in Tanzania all of your life? Can you give me your phone number? I prefer your subject very much.

Melts my heart. Can you see why I love my students, they are so crazy and wonderful and great.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment