Sunday, February 10, 2013

Home Alone: Bush-Style


Being home alone takes on a whole new meaning when you live in the bush. Marisa left last week Thursday for a long weekend in Kigali to get some quality internet time, which meant for the first time in 171 days we were apart…Probably for the best at this point, but I still must say that I certainly appreciate company in this place. Literally being the only white person for miles, with no water, no electricity, no cell phone service, puts a new perspective on life… What is necessary to be happy in life? Not much. A bucket of water, a candle and a pile of potatoes seems to be enough for me. And minus the fact that my phone didn’t work for anyone to call and keep me company or the fact that the post office wasn’t open after I walked and hour and a half to get there, I mostly enjoyed having a weekend to myself.

And then Marisa returned home on Sunday afternoon, with a jar of olives, a loaf of bread, some fun-shaped pasta, and most importantly, POPCORN!…so life here is great, complete with freshly popped popcorn to accompany our movie night and this blogging. Could life here be any better? Doubtful….Just finding joy in the little things <3

No comments:

Post a Comment